Skip to main content

Critical Reflection

In my earlier reflection, I outlined two specific goals for this module: improving my ability to articulate my thoughts with good flow and structure and developing a more comprehensive understanding of the subject matter. After 13 weeks, I can confidently say I have achieved these goals and more. Through the resources provided in the course, including Garr Reynold's Presentation Tips, I have improved my ability to express my ideas coherently and confidently. Not only has this helped me in delivering presentations, but it has also improved my ability to express my thoughts effectively and confidently in everyday situations. I have also learned how to structure my ideas in a clear and concise manner, avoiding confusion and jumbled words. Moving forward, I was able to overcome my small fear of impromptu presentations and public speeches.

Through assignments like the Summary Reader Response and Technical Report, I have learned to stay focused on the bigger picture and avoid losing sight of the objectives. This has helped me to avoid tunnel visioning and remain aware of the bigger picture of any task I undertake. In working on the Tech Report, I developed my ability to summarize complex information and gained a deeper understanding of the various components of the report and their functions. This experience has given me valuable insights into corporate structures, which is crucial for success in the workforce. Specifically, working on the executive summary of the report allowed me to apply my summarization skills and distill key information for the intended audience. Overall, this experience has given me valuable insights and skills that I can apply in my future career. I have also learned the proper citation and referencing techniques, particularly with APA citation 7th edition. Looking back, I never had to properly apply citation and referencing during my polytechnic education, even if it involves a full report. Thus, this newfound skill has allowed me to be more professional and avoid penalties for improper citation practices in the future. While I had the opportunity to hone my presentation and report skills when I had my polytechnic education, the difference in this module was the seriousness of the audience, who were treated as stakeholders. This change in tone led me to approach my preparation more seriously, and the feedback I received from the professor, groupmates, and peers was immensely helpful in refining my skills. Between my previous presentation and the oral presentation in this module, I feel that I have shown significant improvement in my presentation skills. I have also improved my writing skills through various drafts and reassessments of assignments, identifying and correcting my grammar mistakes, and addressing my tendency to write in a non-formal tone.

Of course, there is always room for growth and development, and as Albert Einstein once said, "Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death." While I am proud to have achieved my goals for this module and more, I am aware that there is always more to learn and do. In particular, I want to further refine my presentation and writing skills to become a role model for my peers. I am looking forward to embracing mistakes and seeking constructive feedback to continue improving in all aspects of my life, including my academic and personal growth. With each experience, I hope to gain new insights and perspectives to help me become my best version.

I have learned valuable skills and developed a more refined attitude toward improving my presentation and writing. These skills and newfound attitudes will undoubtedly serve me well in future modules and in the workplace.

Comments

  1. Thank you for this reflection on your learning, Omega. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prof, however, this is not the final draft! I will update it by the stipulated deadline.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Descriptive Reflection: Self Introductory Letter

 Submission 1a: Descriptive Reflection (Formal Introductory Letter) In the form of a formal letter to your instructor, you should provide a descriptive reflection in which you do each of the following: 1. explain your educational background and interest in engineering; 2. discuss one communication strength and one weakness, with illustrations of both; 3. present two specific goals you have for the module; 4. and explain what differentiates you from others. Dear Professor Blackstone, My name is Li Zong Xian Omega and I am writing this letter to introduce myself as a student from your UCS1001-Critical Thinking and Communicating (S77) class.I am keen to learn more as I find it very engaging. I am a graduate from Singapore Polytechnic (SP) with the diploma in aeronautical engineering. My interest in engineering, however, did not start when I was in SP, it happened when I was in secondary  school. The school's location was a stone throw away from Paya Lebar Airbase and the sight of plan

Summary Reader Response Draft #1

  Article in question  by    University of Hertfordshire The web article called "Innovative Face Mask Breaks Inclusivity Barriers", talks about the invention of an innovative face mask called "Helloface".  The article by  University of Hertfordshire (n.d.) also stated that  Dean's partially deaf wife, who read lips to assist herself in understanding conversations when she could not hear properly, inspired Dean and he  realized  the importance of being able to have a visual on the lips and facial expression. Thus, Dean came up with a solution that would solve communication issues where facial recognition is essential, especially in the  healthcare  industry.   Having the distinct feature of transparency as the key focus of "Helloface", the  University of Hertfordshire's (n.d.) revealed that t he 3-ply structured transparent mask is able to keep big particles from from getting to its users while also allowing others to see their faces. The "Hell

Summary Reader Response Draft #4

 The article describes the invention of an innovative face mask, created by Dean Ezekiel,  called "Helloface". The University of Hertfordshire (n.d.) also stated that his partially deaf wife read lips to assist herself in understanding conversations when she could not hear properly. Dean then realized the importance of lips and facial expressions. Thus, he came up with a solution that would solve communication issues where facial recognition is essential, especially in the healthcare industry. Having the distinct feature of transparency as the key focus of "Helloface", the University of Hertfordshire's (n.d.) revealed that the 3-ply structured transparent mask can keep big particles from getting to its users while also allowing others to see their faces. It features a flexible transparent body that makes up 90% of the mask with filters at the bottom, pressing against the chin. Dean also affirmed that the TPE material that makes up the mask is recyclable. From